So life is flying by and in the mist I have gotten in a rut at work. I mean I have things to do, but I haven't really been challenged in a long time. Well today that all changed. It's quarter end and I finished the board report, but the resulting report of a quarter end is the ever important call report. I have never had the opportunity to do this report, but about 2 months ago another manager showed me how to navigate through this report. It's the report that is on file with the government so any and all can pull and see what's going on with any given bank. So it has to be right and no little slip ups that get fixed next quarter.
Well today at 9am I got the mention that Ryan had already started on it and it was due at the end of the day. Now, yes, he wasn't using my version, but I needed to try and keep up so my questions were relevant to what he had just done, so the answer were more in depth with more explanation than - ooo I cant remember what I did there. So I was in a panic and when the formulas weren't working correctly and somehow I was managing to get 2 FDIC codes for one loan - it's not possible. Especially considering all the data I was pulling in was from the same major trial balance that had been broken up into 3 department reports - so sub reports of main report - shouldn't have 2 different FDIC codes. Plus how in the world my formula was pulling loans that didn't even exist on a report; I don't even think the excel creators could explain. So after an hour and a half of that, major panic and stress, people avoiding my cubby because of the horrible negative bubble I was putting out, and a response of "how is that even possible" from a co-worker I decided I should start over.
Just like shutting off a computer and turning it back on to fix the blue screen of death or a "not responding" program, all the sudden my formulas were working and all my charge offs and recoveries had FDIC codes imported in. Then all the sorting and breaking up and summing of all the 14 categories could begin. Then link the sheet and create like 7 other sheets of various other data - I was finally on my way to winning this battle called the Call Report. My brain hurt and at 5 pm I was just down to 3 questions unanswered, but I need to wait on Ops and Accounting for actual answers.
So tomorrow we pick up again and hopefully the answers come in and all my numbers match what Ryan has. Then I will have to make a how to sheet that is much clearer than the initial one. Color code it and make it pretty and in 3 months hope it all comes back to me again :o)
Happy Wednesday people!
No comments:
Post a Comment